I am here to present the conclusions from the youth conference which was held in Grand Hotel yesterday.
First of all I'd like to thank ECAD for making this possible. This is great for us all.
Young people from all over Europe got an opportunity to meat and change ideas about how we can fight the battle against drugs.
This was also a great way to make connections so we could work together in the future. I believe that if we are going to get any results we have to work together. Drug abuse has no borders.
First of all some words about the presentations we heard:
After these presentations the participants worked in workshops. The methods we used is called "open space technology".
- Dr. Thórólfur Thórlindsson told us about how young peoples lifestyles can product abuse and how important it is for young people to have something to do, and the results show that the more time young people spend with their families important the less likely they would have problems.
- Young people in SAA, the national center of addiction medicine, told us about the importance to support young people socially when they are trying to get their feet back on the ground ant function in a normal society - and teach them to have fun sober.
- Peer Education told us about the ideology they work with, young people educating young people.
- Gudrún Jónsdóttir from the counsel & information center on sexual violence showed us the connection between sexual violence and drug abuse. She emphasized that all the organizations who ore working with people should work together to gain batter progress.
- Wima Farzan is o social worker from France and she told us about his work with homeless and about his methods and the importance of having fun in a positive way. He also told us about how he connects his work with young people to what is happening in their environment at the moment.
- College students were looking at how the media influence on young peoples lifestyles.
This method is built on the ideology that if you are doing something that you are interested in you will do it well.
The participants chose the topics themselves. Yesterday we had 14 ideas of workshops and 6 of them presented some conclusions. I'd like to go over the conclusions with you:
Conclusions from work-shops
- Rape and society
- Proud non-drug users
- Fashion media
- Ways to respond to people who is doing drugs
- Sports and events
Fashion, drugs and young people
- Big bands
- Youth clubs
- Build up personality
- Learning by doing
- Enhance self-esteem
- Positive things
- Theatre program
- Creative programs
- Holiday together
- Drug free places
Rape and society
- Connection between drug abuse and sexual violence
- Concealing and help
Proud non-drug users
- Use ex-drug users
- It is not cool or fashionable to use drugs
- Society must help drug users to get sober help them to find place on life
- Society must take use of the media
- Show the reality of the world
- Make youngsters active
- Let youngsters rave their political ideas of the world
Ways to respond to people who's doing drugs
- Do you know the consequences?
- Addicted persons is always bad company
- Friends should tell
- Should parents throw them out?
- Learn about drugs
Sports and events
- With sports we are trying to build healthy life-styles
- With sports we are making our lives exciting and interesting
- We fill our time with pleasure and fun